If you need to find a dinner recipe for a vegan soup/broth then look no further. This really is a veggie-friendly recipe everyone will love.
This recipe was made for me and my meat-eating husband by friends and he loved it. The recipe serves 4 as a starter or 2 as a main course.
This recipe was originally from veggiechef.co.uk.
- 50g dried, sliced Shitake mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic - chopped
- 3 shallots - diced
- 1 red chilli roughly chopped
- 1 thumb sized piece of fresh ginger cut into matchsticks
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsps Ume plum seasoning or a little rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock
- Sprig of fresh coriander finely chopped + a further sprig to chop and use as garnish
- 1 bunch of spring onions (scallions) chopped
- 2 servings of egg free noodles precooked if necessary
- Salt and pepper
- Black sesame seeds to garnish
- Optional - 1 piece of dried kombu to add an extra umami boost and give a subtle seaweed flavour
1 hour before you start to cook put the dried shitake mushrooms (and the Kombu if using) in a bowl and cover with 1 litre of boiling water. Leave to soak and re-hydrate for at least an hour.
After soaking, roughly chop the mushrooms and keep the soaking liquid as you will be using it as the base for your broth.
- Heat the sesame oil in a pan or wok and stir-fry the ginger, shallots and chilli for about a minute
- Add the garlic and fry for another minute
- Add the chopped rehydrated mushrooms to the pan and leave to cook for a further 2 minutes
- Pour the soaking liquid, including the Kombu if used, into the pan and turn down the heat to a simmer
- Add the soy sauce, vegetable stock, ume plum seasoning (or rice wine vinegar), lemon juice and a very small pinch of salt and pepper. The soy is salty so don't overdo it.
- Check the seasoning. If you need more of a salty flavour use extra soy sauce rather then salt. if you want more acidity, use extra lemon juice
- Add the noodles (cooked if the instructions say to precook) and simmer for another minute
- Add around half of the chopped coriander sprigs, and the spring onions, leaving a few of the chopped spring onions for garnish, and cook for a further minute
- Remove the Kombu if you've used it and serve the broth in warmed bowls garnished with a little of the fresh coriander, some of the spring onions and a few black sesame seeds
Many of the ingredients for this recipe are unusual and may be tricky to find unless you have a good deli nearby.
I sometimes replace the chilli with chilli flakes or the Ume plum seasoning for rice wine vinegar. If the noodles don't need to be vegan feel free to use egg noodles and it will still be vegetarian.
The Kombu is optional so don't fret it if you can't find any.
Also, Shitake mushrooms are expensive and 50g is a lot so feel free to cut down on the amount.
Amount Per Serving Calories 488Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 121mgSodium 1650mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 5gSugar 10gProtein 21g
The nutritional information provided is for guidance only