Spicy peanut soup
This recipe is, without doubt, the very best spicy peanut soup recipe I have ever found – and it’s vegan. What’s not to love?
If you need persuading that’s just fine. This recipe for spicy peanut soup is straightforward to make, and it doesn’t use any ingredients that could cause you any hassle to find.
Try this recipe on even the most ardent soup hater and watch them transform into a soup lover!
Vegan Spicy Peanut Soup
The recipe is from 500 Greatest-Ever Vegetarian Recipes
The humble onion contains minerals such as sodium, potassium, iron and dietary fibre. Onions are rich in antioxidants that help detoxify the liver and heal the gut wall.
Peppers contain vitamins A and C, potassium (supports blood pressure, cardiovascular health, bone and muscle strength) and folate (vitamin B9) to help your body form healthy red blood cells.
Chilli peppers contribute to the formation of red blood cells; they help to reduce blood pressure and help prevent the risk of developing cardiovascular disease. They’re also great for boosting immunity and maintaining healthy eyes.
Potatoes get a bad rap in this low-carb age, but they have a great range of health benefits so should be included as part of a healthy diet.
Potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C. They’re also a good source of potassium, containing more than a banana. And they are a good source of vitamin B6. And, as if that isn’t enough, they have no fat, sodium or cholesterol.
Peanuts are an excellent source of plant-based protein and fibre. Peanuts have potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and B vitamins.
For more information on vitamins and minerals and the role they play in maintaining your health
Join the agiftedamateur.com tribe, and you’ll get a link to get your free downloadable guides to vitamins and minerals.
Other Recipes You’ll love
Recipe from 500 Greatest Ever Vegetarian Recipes.
If you need persuading that’s just fine. This recipe for spicy peanut soup is straightforward to make, and it doesn’t use any ingredients that will cause you hassle to find.
Try this recipe on even the most ardent soup hater and watch them be converted to soup lovers!
- 30ml/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - crushed
- 5ml/1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 red peppers - seeded and finely chopped
- 225g/8oz carrots - finely chopped
- 225g/8oz potatoes - finely chopped
- 3 sticks celery - remove any 'stringy' strands and cut into slices
- 900ml/1½ pints/3¾ cups vegetable stock
- 90ml/6 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 115g/4oz/⅔ cup sweet-corn kernels (tinned or frozen are fine)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Some roughly chopped unsalted peanuts to garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan
- Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for about 3 mins or until the onion is transparent but not brown
- Stir in the chilli powder and cook for 1 more minute
- Add the peppers, carrots, potatoes and celery. Stir well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined
- Season to taste
- Bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for about 20 mins, or until the vegetables are tender
- Adjust the seasoning if necessary before ladling the soup into warm bowls
- Sprinkle with the chopped peanuts and serve
This soup freezes well so it's a great one to batch cook.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 382Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 0mgSodium 801mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 7gSugar 10gProtein 13g
The nutritional information has not been calculated or checked by me and should be used as a guide only.