This is a lovely warming casserole recipe that my husband created. He loves taking recipes and making them his own. This is one of them originally found in a greek cookery book and that now bears little resemblance to the original.
It's all the better for that. Pull up a seat and enjoy.
- 1 medium onion - thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery - stringy threads removed and thinly sliced
- 1 pint of vegetable stock
- 250g cooked green lentils
- 2 large carrots - peeled and sliced
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 150ml/1/4 pint olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 pack of Feta - cubed
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the onions and garlic. Cook for 4/5 minutes or until the onions are transparent but not browned
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Add the vegetable stock, lentils, tinned tomatoes, white wine vinegar and oregano and mix well
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and leave to cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables and lentils are tender but still have some texture
- Serve in large bowls and add the cubed feta to taste
There is no need to add salt to this recipe as the vegetable stock is quite salty. You may want to add some pepper though, it's a matter of taste really.
The feta will begin to melt in the hot soup and add a wonderful creaminess.
If by any chance there are any leftovers, it freezes really well, just don't add the feta until it's reheated and served.
Amount Per Serving Calories 2641Total Fat 289gSaturated Fat 41gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 241gCholesterol 4mgSodium 297mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 5gSugar 5gProtein 6g
Nutrition information is for guidance only and has not been calculated or checked by agiftedamateur
Lentil Casserole with Melted Feta is A great one-pot dish
Not only is this lentil casserole a classic reminder of your days as a student, it’s still one of the most satisfying meals around.
What makes this recipe even better is that it’s a one-pot dish. You can batch cook and freeze this one-pot casserole recipe. That makes it a great addition to your weekly healthy meal plan.
The health Highlights of This Lentil Casserole
This lentil casserole recipe is not only delicious and easy to prepare, the ingredients make this a great addition to your healthy diet.
Onions don’t just add flavour and texture to your Lentil Casserole, they also provide vitamins A, B6 that helps you use the stored energy from your food. Vitamin B9 (folic acid), C, E that supports skin health, iron and potassium for bone and muscle strength.
Lentils are just packed with great healthy stuff. Vitamins B, B5 for healthy skin, hair and eyes. B6 to help your body get the goodness from your food, B9, iron, manganese that helps to enlarge veins to efficiently carry blood to your tissues, phosphorus to support DNA production, potassium and zinc to aid metabolism.
And of course, lentils provide fiber that’s vital for your gut health.