Grilled cheesy mushrooms with greens and grains – vegetarian
Grilled cheesy mushrooms with greens and grains. Sounds great right?
I love mushrooms. I think that it was a really good day when God made mushrooms. Any recipe that includes my favourite large flat mushrooms, is going to get my attention.
Add to that the fact that Dr Mosley has developed recipes for his 5:2 diet that can help us lose weight, whilst reducing the chances of developing type 2 diabetes, and you have a winning combination.
If you are on a weight loss diet, then follow the recipe below for a meal with 349 calories per serving.
If like me – you like an extra injection of flavour – you can add a little blue cheese. But remember – that also adds calories. The resulting recipe will no longer be 349 calories per serving.
The health benefits
Mushrooms. Mushrooms are low in calories, and they’re a great source of dietary fibre and protein making them particularly good for a plant based diet.
Thyme. Thyme is known for its antibacterial properties.
Grains. Dietary fiber from whole grains, as part of an overall healthy diet, helps reduce blood cholesterol levels and may lower risk of heart disease. Fiber is important for healthy bowel function and helps reduce constipation. B vitamins help the body release energy from protein, fat and carbohydrates.
Spring Greens. The vitamin C content of Spring Greens supports your immune system and vitamin K is good for bone strength
Ingredients and preparation – serves 2
4 large flat mushrooms
20g parmesan cheese – grated
4 sprigs of thyme – leaves only
250g pouch mixed grains
100g spring greens finely sliced
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 pinch dried mixed herbs
10g blue cheese – crumbled (optional)
Salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the grill and heat some water in a steamer
- Trim the stalks on the mushrooms and place them stalk side up on a baking tray
- Sprinkle over the grated parmesan (and crumbled blue cheese if using)
- Scatter with the thyme leaves
- Grill for 8-10 minutes or until the mushrooms have cooked and the cheese is golden and melted
- Heat the grains as per the packet instructions and steam the greens for 3 minutes
- Stir the grains and greens together with the olive oil and mixed herbs and season to taste
- Serve the mushrooms alongside the greens and grains
And remember to let me and the rest of the giftedamateur tribe know if you like this recipe!